Thursday, July 9, 2009

More thoughts on Heroes

I found an article in the World Magazine this past week where they asked readers to send in their favorite last lines from books they had read. One of the entries struck a chord with me and I can't get it off my mind! It's from Stephen E. Ambrose's book "Band of Brothers". It ends like this:

"'Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?'
'No,' I answered, 'but I served in a company of heroes.'" -- Sgt. Mike Ranney, East Company 2nd Battalion, 506th PIR

I myself am not a hero in any sense of the word... but I know I serve the Great God of Heaven with a company of heroes--my dear brethren!

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

aww thats sweet momma. Your my hero!

pandama said...

I am glad we all have one another to love

Rosalie said...

A favorite comment here in OK - "I heard that"! Reminds of the scripture from Revelations 7:13-17. I long to be counted amongst those "heroe's". Love you.

Sister D said...

We must be Sisters!! I was sitting in church on Wed. night looking around at each one, so thankful to to be part of the Family of God ( Bro L. called out that song right as I was thinking that!) and thought about how precious it is to be "compassed about by so great a cloud of witnesses". I know it's talking about those of our brethren that have walked before us, but I could easily add some of the dear brethren I have known in my lifetime to that list. It truly is easier to lay aside the weights that come my way, when I see the example of the heroic efforts my brothers and Sisters make to do the same.
I really loved the scripture Mamsita posted I don't know if I had ever really heard that one :) Sorry I took so much space to comment. It's just sweet to hear like-minded thoughts!!

Sis. Lori P. said...

Oh my goodness! I just read that scripture that Mamasita posted and found out that it has been one of my favorites through my life. I remember Sis. Debbie V. and others sang a song at one of our sings that quoted that scripture. It's been one of my favorite songs!

Thoughtful Video-No sound needed