Sunday, September 27, 2009

Courage to Step Out of That Ship

I've had occasion twice now to feel like I am in a small little boat swirling in the current of a gigantic ocean with the wind and waves boisterous around me. We heard yesterday in church about the faith of Peter to step out of his ship in the midst of his boisterous wind and walk to Jesus. And about his sinking because he looked around at the wind and waves. I wondered where I was in that story. I am pretty sure I have been hanging on for dear life to the sides of the boat I've been on. Step out on the water? Mmm.... not sure about that. But I am sure that Jesus has walked out to meet me on that ocean in my boat and that comforts me. My eyes are definitely on him, hoping that my boat won't sink. Surely my boat won't sink with His help?

Courage. Been thinking about the courage my husband and I have needed to step out of our room each day and face our life. We have so many eyes on us. Our children and their companions, our grandchildren, our brethren, people in the world. What will we do now that God has brought sorrow our way-- twice? It was hard enough the first time. We have raised seven children; known the joy and pain of raising little ones. Known the deep abounding love for our children. And then came the grandchildren. Have you ever heard it said that you love your children and then your grandchildren come and you find out that you love them even more, if that is possible? Well, it's true. All our hopes and cares and love go out to our little darlings. Each time one of our girls has announced that we were going to be grandparents again...I can't tell you what wonderful days those have been! To see the Lord bless the wombs of our son's wives has been a blessing beyond compare. And so now we need courage to face life. Courage to stand back and see that God has given so much to our "pelky9" that has turned into "pelkey20"! Courage to know that God can give life again, whenever He chooses. Courage to take steps forward. Courage to stand up and let go of the sides of that boat we are on.

5 comments:

Trina said...

Beautiful. Your family is in our prayers.

pandama said...

i love you mom. I know you have stepped out on the water on many a boisterous day and here you still are on this journey called the faith, so surely you haven't sank down to the murky depths and that give me courage and faith to see how many times God has merciful.

pandama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sister D said...

I was so comforted too by sweet reminder we were given through Peter that our Father knows us. He knows that sometimes the storms can be so hard and scary and we can feel so alone but I love when He tells Peter to be of Good cheer and to not be afraid because He's right there. I was comforted too when we were asked to picture that we weren't out of the boat alone, that we were all finding the courage to step out on this stormy sea together. You may feel like you're only able to cling to the side but My dear friend, I've seen you walk in great Faith. I've witnessed just as great a miracle as Peter when I've seen my brethren get through things that would make my own heart faint. Many times when I've lacked courage it's my Brethren's stedfast Faithful eyes on our Savior that has given me the strength to let go of the side myself! Love you and always out on that Sea with you...

Sis Stubby said...

Sis , I know i don't see every thing about you ,But I think you have step out on the water.And you have held to his hand.And have done a good job.I belive that God himself would say thou good & faithful servent.

Thoughtful Video-No sound needed