Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Meekness, Grace and Tribulation

I sat in church on Sunday and thought about my trials and troubles I am going through. For some reason, the word meek came to my mind and of course, I got my usual picture of being a quiet and unassuming person. But then I really started thinking about those things that I call trials. And I thought about something that Sis. Jeanine testified about many years ago in church. She said that once you had a willing heart to go through something, then you have God's grace. I've found this to be true in things that have come my way. So, is this meekness? To allow the things that trouble you to just flow over you like water, to not be troubled by them, to know that you can't change anything and to stand aside and allow that. To have a willing heart to be run over like a steamshovel by a troublesome person? To say, "okay, this is not going to change" to a troublesome situation and have peace to wait on God. I think a little light went on in my brain in church Sunday and I'm going to hold on to it. Meekness. It's not something I will be able to say I own yet, but I am walking toward it.

I wanted to testify in church on Sunday about what I loved about the faith, back when I heard it. What I wanted to say was that I loved those things I read in the bible as a little girl; the words meekness, gentleness, mercy, kindness, humbleness of mind, love, truth. Those words called to me from out of darkness. But,I had the opposite in my life...hatred, hardness, shouting, bitterness, jealousy; these were all I saw in my home life. I'm so thankful that God gave me those beautiful words of life in the faith. I have seen truth and love and humbleness and kindness and mercy and gentleness and even meekness overflowing in my life around me. I am so thankful that He gave me the Faith when I so needed and wanted it!

8 comments:

Cherrie said...

The faith is the most beautiful thing to have. I was raised in the faith and I am so glad for the life that I have. I think you are right about meekness.

Charlene said...

As You know Sister Lori I was not raised in the faith but the love and kindness of Gods people was like a life raft is to drowning person. I wanted that life raft which I found out was God and the brethren love of God was so beautiful to me. I am still working on meekness but with Gods help I will get there thanks again for all the love you show me Sister.

Anonymous said...

I was talking with Tiffany last night a little bit about trials and tribulations that come our way. To me it's so edifying to remember the scripture that says:

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

I'm very young in the faith (5 years now?) and can honestly say that big trials have not really came my way yet. But when I read that scripture...man, bring those tribulations my way!

I truly believe and have faith that everything that is brought our way whether small or large in our minds, is our God's way of teaching us, reminding us and preparing us for the day that all men will kneel before Him. Those trials and tribulations teach us all those great 'fruits' that we read about and what Sis. Lori wrote about.

Stay encouraged everyone!

Sis. Lori P. said...

Bro. Philip: your link tracks back to http://thelordismygod.com but it says my server cant find it...what's up?

Anonymous said...

I just put a random URL in there for the fun of it =)

Kind of a cool URL, maybe one of us should buy it since it seems no one seems to own it =)

Trina said...

Meekness is a big word and I think it means a lot more than we give it credit for, so thank you for the good spiritual food. The faith is special and we are so fortunate to have it in our lives, and I am so grateful for all that try to live it to the best of their abilities.

Sister D said...

Thank you for the sweet post! It seems like Just when I think I know what it means to be meek, humble, show mercy or have love (all the sweet words you used) God brings something my way to teach me how much more depth there is to what He's called me to be. I agree with all that your sweet Son said. I don't know that I'm always brave enough to say "Bring those tribulations my way!" But I pray for that heart every day. And I'm comforted that God is greater than my heart and gives me more strength and more grace just when I need it. It gives me so much courage to fight for my life when I see what you, My sweet Sister and all my brethren have overcome in their lives by the mercy and grace of our God.

Marisela said...

Thanks for the comment a while back....I like this post. Good things to think about.

Thoughtful Video-No sound needed