Thursday, February 7, 2008

Could and Should

Have you ever stopped and thought about what full lives we all lead? That seems su·per·flu·ous because we all; as moms and wives and sisters are so caught up in the doing part of living. It's hard to stop and just think a while! I'm so caught up in "What I Should Be Doing", that I forget about "What I Am Doing".

I was chatting with a mom at the library today and she was lamenting the fact that her home was not as well organized as someone else's she knew. I felt so bad for her! Having put myself through this rigmarole for what seems like centuries, I told her to just stop! Her kids seem happy and cared for, she obviously spends time with them and they are healthy. After pointing this out to her and saying that for all she knew, she was doing something really great that the other mom she thought had it together wasn't doing, she heaved a big sigh of relief and said she hadn't thought about it like that before. We all do good in one thing or another...we all can't be best in everything.

So, that got me thinking of my life and all the things I run around and do. I know I should be 99 other places doing 100 other things than "What I Am Doing" at any given moment in time. No doubt about that in my mind. What pressure! Do I ever stop and just enjoy the moment of "What I Am Doing" --right now? Sometimes I do...most times I am thinking of "What I Should Be Doing". If I am here, I think I should be there; if I'm there, I think I should be here. You probably know the drill.

Tonight I came home from one of my long days at the library and I needed to make dinner...and I hadn't planned an easy one. I knew I had to peel those sweet potatoes. Gosh I didn't want to! I could and "Should Be Doing" something else. But as I peeled those potatoes; very slowly mind you, I started relaxing and enjoying my life. No big revelations came into my mind. No lightning bolts from heaven. Just a simple thought, "What a wonderful life I have". And you know what? I forgot about "What I Should Be Doing" for just a little bit, and even enjoyed "What I Was Doing"!

5 comments:

:.☂Raine☂.: said...

You're so cute mom! I enjoyed reading this post. Reminded me of a kids book the way you colored your words and made them big! :) I can't say I've had those same feelings yet, because I'm not a busy mom, but I've gotten a little glimpse (or feel) of that feeling. :P

Tiffany said...

LOL i so needed to read this today! Thanks mom!

P.s.- i love having a mother in law that i can love like my own momma!

Sis. Lori P. said...

Aww...Tiffany what a treasure you are! Lorraine...don't leave me! Just kidding!

:.☂Raine☂.: said...

Moooommm....:(

Sister D said...

Thanks for posting that! You took the words right outta my mouth. I have felt that way so many days :/
Love you

Tiffany, what sweet words any momma would want to hear! I knew it would just make Lori's day :)

Thoughtful Video-No sound needed