Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Are You Going to the Library This Summer?



So, everyone, are you taking your kids to the library this summer? The Summer Reading Program in most states this year (including Idaho, Indiana, Colorado, Oklahoma and of course, Oregon!) is "Catch the Reading Bug". You can take your kids to visit and join the programs, check out books for summer reading and in most libraries attend fun performers too! In my library we will even be having a performance with BUGS! What I love to tell both moms and kids is that during summer time kids can read whatever THEY want! Yep, no teacher telling them to read this or that. They can chose. What fun! Moms...here's a hint...look at the running sidebar on my blog. I have some of my favorite read-aloud books there. These are storytime tested fun books! You could sneak some home and catch the reading bug with your kids! Oh and here's another hint... I did this and still do it for my kids...and it works at the library too! I put "bait" around the house! Yep, I unashamedly bring home interesting NON-Fiction books that look interesting and just lay them on the couch or by the fireplace. Bam! I catch them every time browsing through the bait! Go to the kids section in your library and find some books about an interesting subject. Believe me any thing will catch their attention if it's just sitting there on the couch! Make sure you put fresh "bait" out often so they don't get bored... And what's really cool is that, little do they know it, but they are reading without you telling them to! Try it!

5 comments:

Cherrie said...

I am hoping to get moved and settled so I can find me a good library this summer. My Elisha is such a book worm and the buying a book and having it read in a day is getting very expensive. You should see our book collection. HUGE!!!

Shannon said...

That's a great idea. I'm going to have to get some "bait". I'm bound & determined this summer to keep up on the reading.

Jules said...

I do believe I'm going to do this! It sounds great!!! Thank you for letting us all know about this program. :)

Kim said...

You are sooo funny Lori! None of my kids have ever caught the "reading" bug. I have tried everything. I have to say that the only thing I read is the bible. I too am not a big reader and life is sooo crazy for me right not that when I make time to read (which I do try to do everyday) I know I need to read the most important thing. Someday maybe my life wont be as busy and I will be able to find enjoyment in sitting down and curling up with a good book and not just THE good book! LOL I still try to encourage the kids to read but nothing has caught on yet. For 2 of the boys reading is so much work because of their dyslexia it takes some joy out of it. Maybe some day they will do it without me making them. The other Son is ready for a break from anything using the brain! With a perfect 4.0 he really wants a break but you know how it is... sometimes you have to make 'em anyway! Thanks for the reminder about the summer reading program!

Anonymous said...

That is so funny I read this post right after I got home from the library where I got my new Virginia library card and they told me all about the Reading Bug program!! I am so excited to get started. Thanks for the info!!

Thoughtful Video-No sound needed