Friday, April 4, 2008

The Girls Step Out of the Coop


My chickens, AKA "The Girls", make me happy. Here is a picture of a big fatty hen. We haven't named her except to call her "Fatty". She doesn't seem to mind this rather rude nickname. She happily struts around the yard whenever we let her out of the coop.


Here is "Fearless". She's the natural leader of the clutch. She's the first out of the coop and seems to lead all the adventures. Isn't she a beautiful blue color?

Here is the whole assemblage. I threw out some old tortilla chips and they went cuckoo. The problem is, since they know when the door opens we might be giving them a treat...the whole flock makes a mad dash for the patio!



Here's a pretty picture of a dandy duo. They don't have names, poor ladies. There just here to make eggs and walk around the backyard for heaven's sake!

I'll leave with this final note... we have six girls...we had seven. But one died as she got run over by the coop. Yes, it was Granddaughter #1's first brush with the dreaded word..."dead". She was very sober about it...and talked with Poppa about it every time she saw him for a few weeks after that. Only one confusing thing about this was, it was about the time we thought that Tecumseh, our dog had gotten lost and we told her that he died. Then he showed up the next week. Mmm...kinda gives her an interesting view on death, don't you think?

10 comments:

:.☂Raine☂.: said...

Fearless is my favorite! I think we should keep her as a pet...after we get new chickies! What do you think?

Jules said...

HEHE, I love chickens! My parents own a 5 acre cherry orchard and they used to have chickens. I loved watching them. I actually had a favorite rooster. One day my mom killed him for lunch, I didn't eat him :( But yeah they are so funny to watch!

Sis Stubby said...

I love your pictures. The dandy duo reminded me of ladies in waiting the one looks like she's strutting. I only helped my aunt with killing once I could not eat chicken for about 3 years after that.You can tell I'm a city girl.Ha,Ha

:.☂Raine☂.: said...

I have very funny memories of killing our chickens...although its obviously not funny seeing something die, but when we lived out on the farm, the guys were killing some of the chickens and one of the hens started chasing me (more like..flopping..) around a tree with its head off! That was one of my most scariest moments.lol, you can be sure I was screaming my head off.

Anonymous said...

Chickens are ok. Just kidding I love your chickens. But I love the eggs moor.I know you can not have one with out the other.heheh I remember when we lived on the farm. Mom bought about 15 to 20 baby chicks. We were very poor and she got a good deal on them. They got sick and were droping like flys. She called the feed store to find out what to do for them. I remember seeing her sit in the middle of the coop and we were catching them one by one and she was giving them something to make them better. It took a long time but we saved most of them. With our our chickens we did not eat.

Cherrie said...

I love fresh chicken eggs, you can not beat the taste. My in-laws spoiled us to fresh eggs for years then got rid of them. Now we have to have store bought again.

Anonymous said...

This is a correction we had 100 baby chichen. The chicks were eating black ants. The ants would swell there throats and choke them off. We lost about 15 to 20. My Mom said hi to every one.

Sister D said...

How sad:( Sister Lori shows these adorable pics and all we can think of is stories of killing them, their heads coming off and their necks swelling up choking on black ants LOL!! I hope all your chickens live a long and healthy life! I hadn't heard about little A's first lesson about death and Tecomseh's sudden return. Dave and I got a giggle out of that one!

Charlene said...

Well I raised chickens and I love it. I would take my coffee out sit on a bucket and tell them all my troubles and boy did I have troubles than before the faith and being a single mom. One good thing about a flock of hens was they were great listeners if you had food hehehehe and the kids loved them.

Marisela said...

We used to have chickens, the girls really enjoyed them.....funny story about the dog.

Thoughtful Video-No sound needed