Saturday, July 19, 2008

Chickens in the Trees?



Okay, so I'm posting twice in a day...but it's evening now and something just happened that I gotta write about! There are chickens in the trees! Really! I used to love this Sesame Street clip about the chickens in the trees. Tonight, it's been replayed in my own backyard. Of course The Dad is gone. Of course the men are all gone hiking. Daughter L and I are left to fend for ourselves...oh and the chickens too. It started innocently enough. We decided to go out and plant a few flowers; you know, really get something accomplished! I went out to the shed to get my trusty dusty trowel and thought, "mm... those chickens are sure making a lot of noise. I'd better go check." "Hey, wait! There are only 7 chicks, where is the 8th?" I could hear her. Might she be in the neighbor's yard? About that time here comes the neighbor out their back door saying there had been a chicken in their yard earlier. But where was she now? Mmm....I asked if I could come around and have a look see. Sure they said. So over I tromped with my hair all in a tizzy, it being now 8:30 in the evening. No chicken. They have a simple yard too, not many places to hide a chicken. Couldn't find her. The poor old lady says that the other evening she could have sworn there was a chicken in their tree...I think to myself she might be losing her marbles. Back home I went to count my chickens again. Now there were only 6! Great...what am I going to tell The Dad when he gets home? Umm...sorry, but we lost two chickens into the mysterious void of the neighbor's back yard? Oh boy! So Daughter L gets a great idea. "Let's cut their wing feather's so they can't fly anymore!" I say OK and flip flop to the kitchen to get my scissors with what is now becoming an evil gleam in my eye! We set ourselves up...we climb on over into the henyard. EEyyyuuuoooo.... is that chicken poop on our shoes and legs? Daughter L runs in the house and into the bathtub to wash her legs. Forget the scissors I say and let's let them loose for the night. So I just happened to hear chickens again in the neighbor's yard! I look up and into their tree and what did I see? You betcha! There are chickens in the tree! Two of them... well they can just stay there for tonight. I'm done tuckered out.

9 comments:

:.☂Raine☂.: said...

I'm having a bad attitude about these chickens. *giggles* But your hair was a sight to see!

Sis Stubby said...

LOL,LOL That was to funny.I sure would love to see you two doing all that.

Sis. Lori P. said...

I went out to count feathers...er I mean heads this early morning and wouldn't you know but there are now 8 hens right where they are supposed to be! Guess they don't like trees in the daytime...just at night.

Jackie said...

They must be owl chickens!!! That is a great story, I can see it now I would probably be laughing so hard that I would be no help at all!!!!

Sis. Leah said...

That is very funny. I can picture it in my head. I would probably be right there by Sis. Jackie just a laughing.

Shannon said...

You & your chickens crack me up. That would have been a great picture to see, chickens in the tree.. . and maybe your hair style ;p.

TinkerKrissy said...

LOL that is too funny! My husband is just shaking his head and said your chickens are nuts. I could see my family doing something like that. And I know what you mean about that look in your eye. I get it often when I am about to do something! Great story!

Aunt Sissy said...

that is just to funny. I can picture this happening to mom & I. I would be right beside Sis. Jackie & Sis. Leah as well, just laughing.

Charlotte said...

You are to funny. I laughed so hard that I could hardly read your story. I too would have loved to seen the chichens in the tree. Thanks for the good laugh. I needed one.

Thoughtful Video-No sound needed