Saturday, July 19, 2008

Understanding God's Mercy to Us

Sis Shannon asked that I post some stories from our quick trip to Colorado and so here goes! This is Sis. Carolyn G. from Grand Junction. She cares for her dear husband, Bro. Marc who is so sick. I mentioned them in my previous post. A long time ago, we had Bro. Marc and Sis. Carolyn in our home (back when we lived in California!) and to make a long story short, they were not treated well while there. So, for many years, The Dad has been praying that our paths would cross again and we would have the chance to say we were sorry and make it right with them. We didn't know where they lived in Colorado and didn't know their last name, so it was pretty impossible to find out who they were. But, lo and behold! The Lord knew my husband's prayer and He made a way for us to apologize to them. Recently our nephew married a sister from Colorado and wouldn't you know it but it's Bro. Marc and Sis. Carolyn's daughter! As soon as The Dad heard her maiden name, he recognized it as the last name of the brethren who were in our home so long ago. We were able to visit with our new niece in Idaho and learned that her father was terribly sick and both The Dad and I knew that we'd need to make a trip to Colorado post haste. That is how we found ourselves on the road there and back again. We were welcomed in to the very brethren's home that we had mistreated so long ago and were welcomed with open arms! They had not carried any hardness of heart along with them through these years. God was very good to us that we were able to meet them again and this time to actually get to know them! We spent time with Bro. Marc the first afternoon and evening we got there and we enjoyed his apparent grace and bravery in the face of what surely could be death. He spoke of his joy in the faith and his hope for the faith to continue through all of our children. He stressed the importance of teaching our children about the treasure we possess and living the faith ourselves so that they can learn from our examples. He loves his children dearly. He loves his wife dearly. And rightly so, two of his children are in the faith now and he hopes for his third. And his wife! She is a dear solid sister. Up she was early in the morning caring for Bro. Marc and caring for their home. You could tell she was very busy at keeping her household running smoothly for Bro. Marc. She tends her yard and it's beautiful! You can tell she loves plants because even her house is full of gorgeous pots full of deep lucious greenery. Good grief, I'd have those plants dead in a week! Her calmness of spirit was an inspiration and she made us feel so at home. The next morning Bro. Marc was needing to sleep and rest and so we got to visit with her and the whole morning the telephone kept ringing. I finally gathered that it was her birthday and here she was cooking breakfast and taking care for us! Later that day we were able to get her a birthday cake and have a little celebration. Even Bro. Marc was able to have a bit of cake and sing to his wife! I cannot stress enough how much that Bro. Marc needs prayers. He needs God's grace to suffer the affliction he has. I know he wants it, I know he will only get it through the grace of God. So, when you think of him, please ask God for mercy for both him and Sis. Carolyn. She has a big job caring for him and their home. Oh and she also helps care for her almost blind mother, Sis. Helen who lives about 45 minutes away! I will always treasure getting a chance to know these dear brethren and understand that it was God's mercy to The Dad and I to have the chance to make things right with such sweet children of His.

5 comments:

Sister D said...

I was glad Sister Shannon asked you that question because I could just tell by the joy in your eyes when you came back that the Lord had blessed you with a wonderful trip that and given you more to add to your treasure chest. I also wanted to hear all about the testimonies Sister Helen and Sister (Jules Mom, :( I forgot her name) shared with you. It's such a strength and comfort to have older Sisters in this Faith we can look up to who have led lives full of relying on our God and are filled with testimonies of the mercy and grace He gives. I know that's a lot to post so Hmmmm...I guess I'm just going to have to sneak you off for some chocolate cake to hear it all!

Jules said...

I'm also so glad that your paths crossed. Only God knew that this would happen way back when the incident happened. Marc and Carolyn are wonderful people, I have always loved them! It's neat how things work themselves out :) And it worked out great for me, cause I got to meet you ;)

Shannon said...

That it such a touching story. It took me a long time to read it because I just wanted to soak it all in. I kept re-reading some of it just so the end wouldn't come. Thank you for sharing that story. And please, if there's more, do share.

Sis Stubby said...

That was a beautiful story of our faith.Now that is Love.Please tell us more.

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful you shared that with us. It is so weet the way the Lord works things out. I am so glad you got to go. I miss our visits. So this way I feel like we are still visiting. We will pray for them that God's mercey and gracy will be around and about them.

Thoughtful Video-No sound needed