Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Getting to Work- on the Quilts!

I started this past year on a project of epic proportions; making quilts for each of my family on their birthday. So far, I've made 8 of them, and I have 7 more to go! It all started with us girls making a quilt for "Project Quilt", which is an organization that gives every Oregon soldier going to Afghanistan or Iraq a handmade quilt to take with them. My kids saw that quilt I made and said, "we would love a quilt like that!" So, I decided that I couldn't get 15 quilts done by Christmas, but I could make them each one as their birthdays came around in the year. So I started last November with Granddaughter #1 and Daughter #4. And it's been a whirlwind ever since! Here are some of the quilts I've made... oh no! I can't find a pic of one of them! Each of the quilts has some fabric in it from one of the other quilts! So, on the married couple's quilts, I am adding some of each other's material, etc. It makes it fun for them to see who's material they have in their quilt. Anyway, when we were on our Sister's Trip, I got to go to the Quilt Shop in the nearby town. I was able to find the material I needed for the rest of my family's quilts! I am so excited. It was so much fun and some of the girls helped me pick out fabric. So, I have to finish Son #2's quilt today and then work on The Dad's quilt. The Dad's birthday is Monday, so I'd better get to work!

7 comments:

Jackie said...

Wow you have been busy!

Cherrie said...

Thats a lot of work, I am actually working on one that was for Elisha when he was 3 yrs old. I guess maybe if I am lucky I will finish it for Samuel before heis 4. By the way Elisha is almost 11 now. Thats a long time to be working on a quilt.

Sis Stubby said...

Those are beautiful quilts.I am making all my grandkids a quilt. One it took me 2 years.LOL
The girls said I might finish it when he graduated.So now #2 son wants one.

melissa said...

your such a crafty lady and to get that many done is amazing they all look so pretty!

Jules said...

Wow, those quilts are awesome! I also love to quilt, I have a couple halfway done, just need to take time to finish them. You are such a WONDERFUL mother/grandma for doing this for your family. They will be one of their most treasured items :) I think they are all beautiful!

Jules said...

Oh, by the way: We are HOPING to get to take a road trip to Oregon this summer. Ryan wants to show me where he grew up and he wants to show me so many things out there. I just hope we can save up enough money to go out there! I would absolutely LOVE to meet you and your family :D (and of course all you other sisters that I haven't met before :)

Sis. Lori P. said...

Jules---Whoopee! Please come, we would love to visit with you!

Thoughtful Video-No sound needed